Chapter 1: The Beginning

On any given day, I am guaranteed to spend most of it calculating over and over the financial aspects of my life. Sound familiar? While I now find myself unemployed for the first time in years, of course this becomes an even larger part of my day. I know I am intelligent, well read, and competent. But for some reason, after registering with Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, Yahoo Hotjobs, Indeed.com, (yes, there are more) SCcareersearch.com, and SCjoblink.org ; I am still unemployed. At this point, I am beginning to think I am officially unemployable!
Let me start closer to the beginning. My husband and I sat down and made a decision about 8 months ago. We were going to pack the family up, and move from Pennsylvania to South Carolina. Although the unemployment rate was higher, the overall cost of living was tremendously lower. Sure that as a truck driver, my husband would locate work quickly, and with the possibility of working from home with my job, we were sure we were taking the right step. But I was unable to keep my job. So I quit. And we moved August 8, 2009.
After the very tearful farewell, and the 11 hour drive, we had made it. We moved in to a condo and haven’t looked back. It’s been almost 2 months. And neither of us has a hope of a job even glimmering on the horizon. So now, as our savings has dwindled to a dangerously low amount, I fret. Ok, fret is the nice way of saying; I agonize over ways to bring a few dollars into the house. I have tried to sell random items on Ebay, and Craigslist; netting about 20.00. The appointment I set at the local consignment store could not be scheduled until the middle of October.
But, I am confident that God has only handed me exactly what I am capable of handling. Now I am not the most religious person. I do not attend Church. But that does not change or sway my beliefs. Somehow, some way, my husband and I will find out way out of the darkness, and step into the most glorious light, and we will be lifted up and set carefully back on our feet.
Times are extremely tough, not just for us, but for an estimated 11.1 million people. The nation now finds itself with unemployment at an all time high. And the little guy, like me, my husband, and probably you, or your friends, or loved ones, we find ourselves competing for a low paying job with thousands of others in the same boat.
So here I am. I have decided that I would like to share some sentiments with others. And I hope that it will be well received. I know out of the 11.1 million estimated unemployed members of society, there must be a few of you out there, who share my thoughts, my fears, and hopes and prayers. Let us work together on this path to a new beginning!

0 comments:

Post a Comment